Is the EU at war with itself?
‘External attack’ could explain blast at Hungarian refinery using Russian crude – Orban

An “external attack” may have been the cause of an explosion at Hungary’s largest oil refinery last week, Prime Minister Viktor Orban said on Thursday.
Writing on Facebook, Orban cited a report he received from investigators on the explosion and fire at the facility located in Szazhalombatta, saying the probe was still underway.
”We do not yet know whether it was an accident, malfunction or external attack,” Orban said, noting that “the Sazhalombatta refinery is one of the five most important strategic industrial plants in Hungary.”
“The Polish foreign minister advised Ukrainians to blow up the Druzhba oil pipeline. Let’s hope this isn't the case,” he added.
The Szazhalombatta facility, also known as the Danube refinery, was built to process crude received via the Druzhba pipeline from Russia. Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski expressed hope that the link would be destroyed in an online spat last week with his Hungarian counterpart, Peter Szijjarto.
Orban said in his update that his government is negotiating with the refinery’s owner, MOL Group, to reign in rising petrol prices, which jumped following the incident.
The Hungarian leader is a longtime critic of the European Union’s response to the Ukraine conflict, particularly sanctions on Russia that he argues have caused significant damage to members of the bloc. Budapest insists that Russian energy is crucial for Hungary’s economic wellbeing and has accused Brussels of ignoring its concerns, including about Kiev’s attacks on the Druzhba pipeline.
The Sazhalombatta blast coincided with a similar incident at a Druzhba-connected oil facility in Ploiesti in southern Romania.
It seems Trump wants to stop all Russian gas supplies to Europe in favour of much more expensive American LNG, even in landlocked Balkan states where there is no easy way to import LNG.
Serbia urges US to back off over Russian-owned refinery – media

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic has appealed to the US for more time to address issues surrounding the nation’s only oil refinery, which is majority-owned by Russian energy giant Gazprom, Bloomberg reported on Wednesday.
Earlier this month, the White House activated restrictions targeting NIS (Petroleum Industry of Serbia). The move prompted neighboring Croatia to suspend crude oil deliveries and raised the risk of a shutdown of the refinery. The sanctions also hit NIS-operated gas stations, which can no longer accept American Express, Mastercard, or Visa cards.
“I hope the US won’t start secondary sanctions” at least until mid-December, Vucic told Bloomberg, adding that Belgrade hopes to resolve the issue related to Gazprom’s majority stake in NIS. He reportedly urged US officials to refrain from targeting Serbian financial institutions facilitating payments at the refinery’s stations.
NIS is a leading Balkan energy company with a refinery in Pancevo, near Belgrade, and a regional network of over 400 petrol stations. Gazprom Neft is the largest shareholder with 44.85%, while Gazprom holds 11.3% and the Serbian state owns 29.87%.
Washington expects Belgrade to either secure a sale of Gazprom’s stake in NIS or assume control via nationalization, US officials said, as cited by Bloomberg. Earlier this week, Vucic reportedly dismissed plans for unilateral action against the Russian energy major, which has held a significant stake since 2008, emphasizing he is “neither a communist nor a fascist.”
Serbia has resisted Western pressure to fully align its foreign policy with the EU, even as it seeks membership in the bloc. Brussels and Washington have urged Belgrade to sever energy ties with Moscow, a key historical partner. Vucic’s government has also accused Western nations of fueling mass protests in Serbia.
Several EU states, including Hungary and Slovakia, have voiced similar concerns over pressure to reject Russian crude. Tensions escalated earlier this year after the Ukrainian military struck sections of the Druzhba pipeline supplying Eastern Europe with Russian oil. In January, Hungary and Serbia announced plans to speed up connecting Serbian consumers to the Druzhba system.


No comments:
Post a Comment