South Africans demand closure of German
arms manufacturing giant

Demonstrators have picketed Union Buildings in Pretoria demanding the closure of GErma’s arms giant Rheinmetall in South Africa and more control over arms sales to Israel and Ukraine.
Thuto Mashaba, who led the protest this week, stated this was a continuation of the picket in Boksburg last month.
Although the German armaments firm has publicly acknowledged that it supplies weapons to Ukraine, he underlined that activists are extremely concerned that it is still producing artillery shells.
”We demanded that President Cyril Ramaphosa at the very least check the activities of the Rheinmetall plant for compliance with South Africa’s official policy of not intervening in international conflicts or supplying arms to third countries,” Mashaba said.
BlackRock, a US financial corporation, holds the majority of shares in Rheinmetall Denel Munitions (RDM), a multinational arms manufacturer headquartered in Germany with operations in South Africa.
According to the company’s recent report, the German military’s inventories are being reduced as a result of massive armament sales to Israel and Ukraine.
RDM’s South African division is a major supplier of 155mm ammunition. Israel and Ukraine both purchase weaponry from Rheinmetall’s South African facility.
The US Department of Defense recently announced that South Africa is a member of the Ukraine Defence Contact Support Group (UDCG).
Notwithstanding South African regulations that forbid gun manufacturers from delivering their goods to areas of conflict, this activity is taking place.
In a recent statement, the Economic Freedom Fighters (EFF) said for the war in the Ukraine where artillery stockpile shortages have been replenished by South African sales.
”As a consequence of our dismal lack of arms control and failure to adhere to our domestic law and regulations, as well as international arms control regulations, we are guilty of enabling genocide.
“The EFF demands that the South African government must, as a matter of urgency, reform our weak, and administratively inept approach to weapons exports, and strengthen the capacity of the NCACC to fulfill its legal mandate,” the EFF said.
The red berets said it is simply untenable for South Africa to state in the ICJ that Israel is committing genocide, while weapons manufactured in South Africa supply Israel with the means to commit genocide.
Israel is not committing genocide but Hamas' only goal is to commit genocide against the Jews from the river to the sea.
South Africa has intervened in that war by accusing Israel of doing what Hamas has attempted to do. They are on the wrong side of history here.
It is currently alleged that Rheinmetall circumvents South Africa’s stringent export regulations by using its international network to divert ammunition from the factory to conflict areas after it is formally sold to Germany or other nations.
IOL tried to get a comment from Rheinmetall but to no avail.
Volkswagen welcomes weapons opportunity

Struggling German automaker, Volkswagen, is open to producing weapons and military equipment, CEO Oliver Blume has said. He made the remarks in response to a recent EU announcement of a plan to spend up to $870 billion on its defense sector.
The automotive giant posted declining sales and profits last year and was forced announce plant closures and mass layoffs in Germany for the first time.
Germany’s was the worst-performing major economy globally in 2023 posting a 0.3% contraction, followed by minimal growth in 2024 leading to recession. The economic crisis is partly due to the loss of affordable Russian energy following Ukraine-related sanctions.
Speaking to German state broadcaster NDR on Tuesday, Blume announced that the carmaker was closely examining the needs of the defense industry.
All options are on the table, he said, including repurposing some factories from civilian to military production. “We are fundamentally open to such topics,” Blume claimed.
The idea has been supported by Germany’s largest arms manufacturer Rheinmetall. Rheinmetall CEO Armin Papperger said on Wednesday that the VW facility in Osnabrueck would be a good fit for a conversion.
VW previously produced military vehicles for the Wehrmacht, the armed forces of Nazi Germany, during World War II, including lightweight transporter Kübelwagen and amphibious four-wheel-drive vehicle Schwimmwagen.
A VW plant was involved in manufacturing components for the V-1 flying bomb, a type of early cruise missile used to devastating effect by the Nazis.
The EU intensified its efforts to militarize after US President Donald Trump repeatedly criticized European NATO members for failing to meet the bloc’s defense spending commitments.
In response Brussels announced a large militarization initiative proposed by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen. Dubbed ReArm Europe, the plan could divert €800 billion ($870 billion) into the defense sector over the next four years. While the announcement sent share prices of Europe’s largest weapons producers soaring, the plan has been rejected by Dutch lawmakers, citing fiscal concerns.
Moscow has condemned the EU’s plan, stating that it is mainly aimed at Russia and caused “deep concern.” The EU militarization initiative comes as Russia and the US began negotiations last month to try and settle the Ukraine conflict. Despite this, EU leaders have pledged to continue to support Ukraine militarily.
Greed keeps the War Industry inventories flowing at maximum capacity. No concerns whatsoever for the thousands who die every month and the millions who have been driven from their homes and jobs.
Next to paedophilia, the War Industry is the worst atrocity man has ever seen.
No comments:
Post a Comment