At least five people have been killed after gunmen opened fire in a mosque in Quebec City on Sunday, the mosque’s president told reporters. Witnesses told Reuters there were three gunmen involved and 40 worshippers were inside at the time of the shooting.
The shooting took place at Centre Culturel Islamique de Quebec (Quebec City Islamic Cultural Center) on Sainte-Foy Street. There’s been conflicting reports over the number of perpetrators involved in the attack.
Two suspects have been arrested in the ongoing police operation, according to a Québec police spokesman. An investigation into the attack has been launched.
Le Soleil reported there were at least two shooters and one of them was wielding a AK-47 assault rifle. One of the attackers is believed to be a 27-year-old man.
Up to three shooters were seen by a witness cited by Reuters.
Reports of “many” people injured have appeared in the media.
Police have sealed off traffic in the area and have so far declined to comment.
Police in Quebec City say shots have been fired at the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec on Sainte-Foy St. and five people are reported dead.
Multiple gunmen opened fire during evening prayers, killing five people, according to Reuters.
“Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” the mosque’s president, Mohamed Yangui, told Reuters.
Witnesses say about dozen people were wounded and some reports state two of three suspected gunmen have been arrested.
A live video feed on a Facebook page of a mosque showed images of multiple police vehicles and yellow police tape.
Quebec City police confirmed deaths and injuries, and said suspects have been arrested.
Last June, worshippers at the same mosque discovered the severed head of a pig left in front of one of the doors, wrapped in cellophane with bows and ribbon, and a card that said “bonne appétit.”