The TV report named the victim as Moshe Fuerst. His father Michael said the attack was carried out by a gang of “non-Jewish boys who were drunk” and who took “great joy, I’m sure, from the fact that they were beating up a Jewish kid.”
Three other Jews — two 18-year-olds and a 20-year-old — were also hurt in the assault. Police are treating the incident as an anti-Semitic attack.
“Antisemitism and hate crimes of any sort are totally unacceptable,” Communities Minister Baroness Williams of Trafford said. “I am appalled to hear of this weekend’s attack in Manchester and would urge anyone with information to come forward. Let me be clear, this government takes fighting anti-Semitism and anti-Muslim hatred seriously and anyone found guilty of these vile crimes will feel the full force of the law.”
Moshe suffered “a suspected bleed to the brain,” according to local newspaper reports.
Police said the group were approached by three men as they waited at the Bowker Vale Metrolink station in northern Manchester at around 11:30 p.m. The assailants hurled verbal abuse at the victims and then physically assaulted them.
“They were off to see a movie on motzei shabbes” (Saturday night) when they were attacked, said Moshe’s father Michael. “Moshe is the smallest of the group, and he got basically knocked out with one punch. And when he was on the floor this fellow kicked him in the head.”
The non-Jewish gang “picked a fight” with the Jewish youngsters, he said. “The fact that they were Jewish certainly fueled them on.”
Forensics teams continued to look for evidence at the train station on Monday.
No suspects had been apprehended.
The attacks came as the London Metropolitan Police reported a sharp increase in anti-Semitic attacks in the 12 months preceding July 2015.