We don't know if the perpetrators were Muslim, but most likely the victims were Muslim, as most Turks are.
Türkiye: Six dead and eight wounded in an armed attack near Mersin; suspect still at large
Images broadcast by local media show ambulances transferring injured people to a major nearby hospital. [Yasin AKGUL / AFP]Near the city of Mersin in southern Turkey, an armed attack on Monday, May 18, left six dead and eight wounded. The suspected perpetrator, a 37-year-old man, is still being actively sought by authorities.
A daytime shooting. After a gunman opened fire near the city of Mersin in southern Turkey, six people were killed and eight others wounded on Monday, May 18, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced .
"I pray to God to grant his mercy to our six fellow citizens who lost their lives (...) and I wish a speedy recovery to our eight injured who are still hospitalized," the Turkish head of state also said in a televised statement, without giving further information on the sequence of events.
According to the private news agencies DHA and IHA, the perpetrator first opened fire in a restaurant, killing the owner and an employee and wounding several customers, before shooting two other men during his escape.
"He came in without saying a word (...) We thought he was going to take out his phone, but he took out a gun. I ducked down, he shot me," Mehmet Han Topal, a restaurant employee injured in the hip, told the IHA news agency.
The shooter is still on the run
Among the victims was a shepherd who was grazing his flock near the restaurant where the suspect opened fire, located along a road about 40 km northeast of Mersin. Local authorities in the province are currently declining to comment.
Still at large, the suspected gunman is a 37-year-old man, according to the official Anadolu news agency and the Sabah newspaper, which claim he previously shot and killed his ex-wife. Images broadcast by local media show a helicopter circling the area in search of the suspect, as well as ambulances transporting the wounded to a nearby hospital.
This latest incident comes amid a broader pattern of armed violence in the country in recent months. Last April, a 14-year-old opened fire at a school about 180 kilometers to the east, killing nine students aged 10 and 11, as well as a teacher.
A 19-year-old gunman had injured 16 people a day earlier at a high school in the southeast of the country. In the wake of these events, President Erdogan announced his intention to tighten regulations in order to "limit the possession of firearms."
Too early to know much about these perps, but again, the victims are certainly Muslims.
United States: At least three dead in a San Diego mosque; the two suspected shooters found dead nearby
[REUTERS/Mike Blake]At least three people died in a mosque in San Diego, California, on Monday. The two suspected gunmen were found dead nearby, according to the FBI.
Three people died in a San Diego mosque in California after two suspected gunmen entered the building and were found dead not far from the place of worship, US authorities announced Monday.
"At this point, it appears that the suspects died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds," San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said at a news conference.
No deaths here, but 9 serious injuries including 2 women who lost their legs.
Italy: Muslim migrant vehicular jihadi says ‘I’m bullied, marginalized, and I live in a racist country’
Salim El Koudri has clearly learned how to sound the right notes in the West in order to gain the sympathy of the political and media elites. His complaint about Italy being racist will win him many defenders, and has the additional benefit of diverting attention from the fact that he is a jihadi, employing a murder technique that many jihadis have used before him. His claim of racism will also likely stymie efforts to limit mass Muslim migration in the wake of his attack: a jihadi to the last, El Koudri is trying to shame Italians into hesitating to draw the obvious conclusions from his act, and taking the obviously necessary steps to protect themselves.

Italy: Suspect Salim El Koudri justified Modena car-ramming attack by telling investigators he was ‘bullied’ and ‘lived in a racist country’
by Thomas Brooke, Remix News, May 18, 2026:
The second-generation Moroccan migrant accused of ploughing into pedestrians in the Italian city of Modena on Saturday reportedly sought to justify his actions by telling investigators he had been bullied, marginalized, and was living in a racist country.
Salim El Koudri, 31, was arrested after allegedly driving a Citroen C3 through the city center, hitting seven people and leaving two victims with such catastrophic injuries that they required amputations of their lower limbs. One of the victims remains in a life-threatening condition.
According to Il Giornale, El Koudri told investigators, “I’m bullied, marginalized, and I live in a racist country.”
El Koudri was born in Seriate, near Bergamo, to Moroccan parents and lived alone in Ravarino, in the province of Modena. He is unemployed, has a degree in economics, and has no criminal record. He had previously received psychiatric treatment in 2022 for schizoid personality disorder.
Witnesses said the car deliberately targeted pedestrians, as seen in footage posted by Remix News, which X has prevented from being embedded.
One account cited by the Italian newspaper said it looked as though the vehicle was trying to “mow down as many people as possible.”
The suspect reportedly exited the vehicle and attempted to stab witnesses who chased after him as he sought to flee.
The attack has drawn comparisons to previous vehicle-ramming attacks in Nice, Berlin, and Barcelona, though the motive in Modena has not been confirmed as religious or ideological. Il Giornale suggested investigators are focusing instead on possible personal resentment, isolation, and hatred toward the society in which El Koudri lived….
Anti-terror police continue to be involved in the investigation while a motive is confirmed.
![A gunman on a scooter killed two people and injured six others in a neighborhood of Nice on Monday afternoon. [Frederic DIDES / AFP]](https://static.cnews.fr/sites/default/files/styles/image_372_209/public/000_b2hp78t-taille1200_6a09e877d41d4.jpg?h=dff27f35&itok=wxe9_ahI)

No comments:
Post a Comment